✰✰✰ Best For : All Grades Description : For my last unit of inquiry I took a different slant on the traditional word wall and aske...

Word Wall



✰✰✰

Best For: All Grades

Description: For my last unit of inquiry I took a different slant on the traditional word wall and asked students to find the unit words in their mother tongue as well as a picture that best represented the word to them. With all this information we created a word wall. A word wall is generally in a highly visible location so students have easy access to the words, it is interactive and designed so the students can use them to help with their writing and reading. For more information on word walls see here.

Ranking: I gave this strategy three stars as I don't feel it was independently used by the students as much as I would have liked. Getting the students to translate the words from English to their Mother Tongue was valuable and finding a picture also helped develop students understanding of the words. Throughout the unit I needed to remind students to refer to the wall when they were trying to spell a word. I would have liked to have seen more independence from the students in using the word wall. I also feel it is important that the students are involved in the creation of the wall to enable them to have ownership over the wall and so it has meaning to them.


0 comments: